Moving to Michigan: Relocation Guide

September 12, 2017

Let’s face it; moving can be stressful. Any way you slice it, the tasks associated with moving to a new location seem endless. From finding a new place to live, packing all of your belongings into dozens of non-descript boxes and saying all of your (not so) final goodbyes to friends, family, neighbors and co-workers - making sure all of your legal documents are up to date have likely fallen to the end of your priority list. At BHS Insurance, we completely understand, which is why we have compiled a sample checklist* to help you stay up to date on all your records.

* Depending upon where you are moving to (or from) there may be additional steps you need to take. Be sure to double check with your local Secretary of State branch office.

Vehicle Registration

Once you’ve officially become a resident of Michigan, you’ll need to register your out-of-state car with the Michigan Secretary of State (SOS). Prior to doing so, you’ll want to make sure you take care of your… (see below).

(Mandatory) Car Insurance

Before the Michigan SOS will even allow you to register your vehicle, you must provide proof that you have no-fault care insurance in Michigan. You cannot use your out-of-state policy.

Driver’s License & Identification

You’ll also need to transfer your out-of-state driver’s license over to the state. Learn more about how to apply for a Michigan Driver’s License here. If you don’t have a need to drive in the state, you may apply for a Michigan I.D. card instead. This will then be used to prove your age, identity and date of birth.

Voter Registration

If you wish to vote in the next election, you’ll need to make sure you’re registered to vote in your new Michigan county. This can be done at the same time as applying for your driver’s license - if you wish to do so at the time.

Change of Address

Changing your address with the Michigan SOS can be done online, by mail, or in person - when you are updating all of your other (above) records.