Q: If a pipe in my home bursts and causes a flood, am I still protected—even if I don’t have flood insurance?

December 13, 2018


This type of claim would be covered by your home policy—not by flood insurance. Damage to the building would be covered in this incident.

Damage to your personal property may also be covered, depending on the actual cause of loss. The damage would have to be from the sudden and accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning, or bulging of a steam or hot-water heating system, an air-conditioning or automatic fire-protective sprinkler system, or an appliance for heating water.

There is an exclusion under the personal property portion of the policy if the damage is caused by a frozen/burst pipe and your home was unoccupied at the time of loss. This exclusion is waived if you used reasonable care to maintain heat in the building or had shut off the water supply and drained the system and appliances of water. The policy deductible would apply.

Answered by:

Tammy Clementz

Account Manager

32 years’ insurance experience, 19 years at BHS Insurance

Ask a Question

Have a question? We'd love to hear from you.

Send us a question and we'll respond as soon as possible.

Something went wrong.
Please provide your full name
Something went wrong.
Something went wrong.
Submitting form...


Your question has been submitted.