Ask an Agent: Is a broken pipe covered by homeowners insurance?

Q: If a pipe in my home bursts and causes a flood, am I still protected—even if I don’t have flood insurance?


A: This type of claim would be covered by your home policy—not by flood insurance. Damage to the building would be covered in this incident.

Damage to your personal property may also be covered, depending on the actual cause of loss. The damage would have to be from the sudden and accidental tearing apart, cracking, burning, or bulging of a steam or hot-water heating system, an air-conditioning or automatic fire-protective sprinkler system, or an appliance for heating water.

There is an exclusion under the personal property portion of the policy if the damage is caused by a frozen/burst pipe and your home was unoccupied at the time of loss. This exclusion is waived if you used reasonable care to maintain heat in the building or had shut off the water supply and drained the system and appliances of water. The policy deductible would apply.


What can BHS Insurance help you with? We have over 25 associates dedicated to finding the best coverage for your life, home, and auto needs. Request a quote online today.


Answered by:



     Tammy Clementz, Account Manager

      32 years’ insurance experience

      19 years at BHS Insurance