Ask an Agent: Does my insurance cover melting snow?

Q: If melting snow causes my home to flood, am I protected—even if I don’t have flood insurance?


A: A true flood by definition is “a general and temporary condition of partial or complete inundation of two or more acres of normally dry land area or of two or more properties (one of which is the policyholder’s property) from unusual and rapid accumulation or runoff of surface waters from any source.” Therefore, for a claim to be covered by flood insurance (which is separate from home insurance), the flooding would have to cover two or more properties or two or more acres of land.

The typical home policy does not cover sub-surface water that seeps in through the foundation, windows, or doors. There may be exceptions—depending on your home policy—so it is important to know how the water is entering your home and speak with your agent about the details of your claim and policy coverage.


What can BHS Insurance help you with? We have over 25 associates dedicated to finding the best coverage for your life, home, and auto needs. Request a quote online today.


Answered by:



     Tammy Clementz, Account Manager

      32 years’ insurance experience

      19 years at BHS Insurance