Ask an Agent: Are rental trucks covered by auto insurance?

January 17, 2019
Auto Insurance,

Q: If I rent a U-Haul, is it covered under my auto policy?


A:  Only if it is a pickup (defined as “a private passenger vehicle” in your standard auto policy). Most fully-enclosed trucks weigh more than 10,000 lbs., are not considered a private passenger vehicle and, therefore, would not qualify for coverage under your policy. If you rent any vehicle other than a pickup truck, you should buy the insurance offered by the rental company since your plan does not include that type of coverage.

When renting a trailer, it is also a good idea to purchase damage insurance since there is a coverage limit of only $500 on a non-owned trailer through your standard auto policy. That amount would not be sufficient to cover replacement costs should the trailer you rent become severely damaged.


What can BHS Insurance help you with? We have over 25 associates dedicated to finding the best coverage for your life, home, and auto needs. Request a quote online today.


Answered by:



     Jody Blain, Account Manager

      6 years’ insurance experience

      1 year at BHS Insurance