Ask an Agent: Should I file a claim?

September 22, 2017
Auto Insurance,

Q: My son backed into my parked car in the driveway, creating a medium-sized dent in the front passenger-side door. He is on my insurance policy; should I file a claim?


A: Because your son lives with you and is covered by your policy it cannot be covered by the property damage portion of your policy. Your vehicle will be covered based on the coverage you chose for your vehicle. If you do not have collision coverage, there would be no coverage for damage to your vehicle. If you did elect to carry collision you would have coverage for the damage to your vehicle but it would be subject to your deductible. I would first get an estimate from the body shop to find out if it would be worth submitting as it would also count as an at-fault accident for your son.


What can BHS Insurance help you with? We have over 25 associates dedicated to finding the best coverage for your life, home and auto needs. Request a quote online today.


Answered by:



     Tammy Clementz, CSA

      32 years’ insurance experience

      19 years at BHS Insurance

      Email me!